Bad breath is a very common problem and there are many different causes. At Omnia Dental Spa, we appreciate that bad breath can cause considerable anxiety and social embarrassment. Our friendly team of dentists and hygienists will work with you to help you maintain a clean mouth and fresh breath so that you can socialise with total confidence.
Persistent bad breath is usually caused by the smelly gases released by the bacteria that coat your teeth and gums. In addition, bits of food can get trapped between your teeth and can also produce an unpleasant odour as they breakdown. Hence, a good oral hygiene regime, that includes regular brushing and flossing, is essential to help prevent bad breath.
Other causes of bad breath include consumption of strong-smelling food and drink and certain medical conditions.
What are the main causes of bad breath?
- Poor oral hygiene resulting in a build up of bacteria around the teeth and gums (or under dentures)
- Food debris trapping between the teeth (or under dentures) for extended periods
- Tooth decay (cavities collect plaque bacteria and food particles)
- Gum (periodontal) disease
- Strong smelling food and drink e.g. garlic, onions & coffee
- Dry mouth (xerostomia) due to reduced saliva production
- Other underlying medical conditions e.g. infections in the nose, throat or lungs, sinusitis, bronchitis and diabetes.
How can I prevent bad breath?
- Brush your teeth and gums for two minutes, twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Clean between your teeth daily using dental floss, dental tape or interdental brushes
- Remember to brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper
- Reduce how often you have sugary food and drinks
- Rinse with an anti-bacterial mouthwash to eliminate
- Visit your dentist and hygienist regularly, as often as they recommend
- Chew sugar-free gum as it stimulates saliva production and stops your mouth drying out